Well, that’s a wrap.
My freshman year of college is finished. Well, almost. Technically, it’s finals week, but in my mind, after my last two finals, I’m done.
People always told me that my freshman year of college (and college in general) would fly by. Note to all incoming college students: everyone who told me that is right. After a tremendously long-seeming first semester, the second semester flew by. Like, I’m pretty sure that it’s actually still January.
Somehow, I’ve made it through my first year. Considering the terrifying speed with which this school year passed, I don’t think I’m ready for my next three years. Actually, I take that back. I know that I’m ready. I love the thought of being a woman in her chosen field of study, doing something that she loves. I want to make a difference. I want to put myself to good use. I want to do something every day that inspires me and the people around me. Is my advertising major going to help me with that? Maybe. Who knows? That’s why I’m excited for the opportunities that I have come across during the last several weeks.
- I’ll be an account director for Cardinal Communications, our student-run creative communications agency. I’m piloting the in-house team, so I’ll be in charge of a team that takes care of the website, social media, brand image and other aspects of CC.
- I was chosen to be PR Director for our PRSSA chapter. In this position, I’m doing something similar to what I already do for CC. I’m in charge of all publicity for the chapter, meaning that I’m responsible for all social media, press, blogs, the website… you name it, I’m probably doing it. I can’t wait!
- My sorority elected me to be one of the publicity chairs for ESA. In this position, I get to flex my design muscles a little bit more – I’m designing merch for the chapter. And doing social media and PR. Do you think I have enough social media roles next year?
- I’m applying for an internship that will further my graphic design knowledge. I am super excited for the opportunity and can’t wait to hear back from them.
- I was interviewed for a campus job a few weeks ago. It’s a desk staff job, so it should be a great way for me to have an impact on my residence hall and is a great excuse for me to do my homework (since I can’t really watch Netflix while I’m working).
All of the experiences I’ve encountered this year have led me to this point. Duh. But really, without the growing that I’ve done this year, none of these opportunities would even be options for me. I can’t imagine how different my college path would be if I hadn’t signed up for Cardinal Comm or seen the ESA booth at the activity fair. What would I be doing now?
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I am so, so lucky to be at Ball State. I’m incredibly glad every day that I chose to come to this university. I remember the day that my mom and dad dropped and how nervous (read: terrified) I was. Looking back at the last year, I can see now that I had no reason to be. I’m proud of myself and the decisions that I’ve made this year. I have stayed true to myself while also putting myself out there. I’ve done things that I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to undertake if I chose another university. Most importantly, I’ve learned a little more about myself. I guess next year I’ll do more learning about my actual field of study (since this year was mostly core classes. Boo.).
Short version: I can’t wait to be back in the fall.